The results of the Canadian Hockey League player import are in. In the 26th anniversary draft, there was a total of 72 players. This consisted of 50 forwards and 22 defencemen from 11 countries.
This year’s draft saw a majority of players being drafted from Russia at 19. The top of which being right-winger Andrei Svechnikov. During his time in the 2016-17 USHL season, Svechnikov played 48 games and amassed a total of 58 points (29 goals, 29 assists). The number one pick was snapped up by the Barrie Colts in the first round. Svechnikov who acquired a gold medal at the 2017 IIHF world under-18 Championship will surely make a solid impact into the Colts who finished bottom of the Eastern Conference with 41 points. The lowest of all teams in the Ontario Hockey League.
At rank, no.2 is fellow Russian teammate Alexander Khovanov. The centerman accumulated a total of 22 points during his 2016-17 season in which he took part in 29 games and scored 8 goals with 14 assists. The Moncton Wildcats snapped up Khovanov at 2nd place and will hope to improve their game in the upcoming season from their 2016-17 stats of 14 wins in 68 games
In third place is Gilian Kohler a Swiss forward who also took part in the 2017 u18 World Championships. In his 2016-17 season at Biel Jr, Switzerland Kohler had a remarkable 50 points (8 goals, 42 assists!!) in 43 games. Kohler was selected by the Kootenay Ice and will be eligible for the 2018 NHL draft.
Within the draft, only 37 players selected are eligible to partake in the 2018 NHL draft, whilst players will have to wait until 2019. To regulate the league, teams are only allowed to play a maximum of two players selected from the import draft.
Below are the players from the 2017 CHL import draft selected by the NHL:
4. Alexei Toropchenko (Guelph – 4th round to St. Louis in 2017)
7. Filip Chytil (North Bay – 1st round to NY Rangers in 2017)
10. Martin Necas (Saginaw – 1st round to Carolina in 2017)
13. Timothy Liljegren (Niagara – 1st round to Toronto in 2017)
17. Alexandre Texier (Baie-Comeau – 2nd round to Columbus in 2017)
28. Joni Ikonen (Hamilton – 2nd round to Montreal in 2017)
41. Jan Drozg (Shawinigan – 5th round to Pittsburgh in 2017)
45. Oleg Sosunov (Moose Jaw – 6th round to Tampa Bay in 2016)
49. Jesper Bratt (London – 6th round to New Jersey in 2016)
53. Ostap Safin (Saint John – 4th round to Edmonton in 2017)
119. Linus Nassen (Medicine Hat – 3rd round to Florida in 2016)
These players are prospects selected by the NHL to be scouted ready for the 2018 NHL Draft. In this year’s NHL draft 15 players who were selected in the CHL Import Draft found themselves chosen by NHL teams, including Halifax Mooseheads player Nico Herschier as the first pick. The lineup also included Henri Jokiharju from the Portland Winterhawks finding himself selected at 29th place by the Chicago Blackhawks.
Thank you for reading, if you like our stuff follow us at @STPUnews to keep updated.